Farktography.net

It's not photography, it's Farktography.net

View previous topic Printable version Private messages View next topic
Elsinore
Post subject: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.01.2013 11:08

Photos taken during the "Golden Hour" (the hour after sunrise or the hour before sunset). Difficulty: No sunsets or sunrises.

Thanks to Lovesandwich, we will bask in the glow of his bright and shining theme!

Last edited by Elsinore on 09.05.2013 10:20; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
Yugoboy
Post subject: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.05.2013 23:47

Is it a sunrise if it's the horizon BEFORE the sun pops up?

I've got some shots from Venice over some parked gondolas facing east. The sky is brightening, but there's no sun (yet).

ennuipoet
Post subject: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.06.2013 14:12

I read this as no photos OF the Sun rise/set, otherwise it would be very difficult to have ANY photos of the golden hours. Smile

orionid
Post subject: Re: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.06.2013 15:45

Yugoboy wrote:

I've got some shots from Venice over some parked gondolas facing east. The sky is brightening, but there's no sun (yet).

I believe that's the blue hour.

~Leonardo Da Vinci

Elsinore
Post subject: Re: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.06.2013 18:01

orionid wrote:
      Yugoboy wrote:

I believe that's the blue hour.

That ^^

Yugoboy
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.06.2013 18:09

OK... fine... I STILL have to winnow down from the 5 I winnowed down to...

ravnostic
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.06.2013 23:37

Yeah, the descript says the hour aftersunrise or before sunset; so the sun needs to be in the sky. I'll hope by then that I'll be a little more mobile, and I'm thankful that if not, I can use the exif data and my astronomy program to determine if any of my archive shots make the grade.

"Photography is about having a vision, a good eye, passion for the subject, great light, access, storytelling and heart. The camera equipment is just a tool designed to help capture the rest."--Scott Bourne

Lovesandwich
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.10.2013 16:28

Sunset = BAD.

Crash landing in the sun by travelcedric, on Flickr

Golden Light = GOOD

Tranquility by travelcedric, on Flickr

Basically, don't take photos of the sunset/sunrise. Look for the golden light shining down on objects, giving them that warm and wonderful glow. Golden sunlight on a building, mountain, statue, tree, whatever, as long as you aren't shooting into a sunset/sunrise. We aren't looking for the oranges and reds of a sunset/sunrise sky.

Hope that clears it up a bit. Very Happy

Elsinore
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.22.2013 20:08

Contest linky: http://www.fark.com/comments/7901538

ravnostic
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.23.2013 17:10

oops. Posted based on descript in contest thread, but just read lovesammich's comment; remove and leave me a note here as ness. and I'll find something else if needed.

"Photography is about having a vision, a good eye, passion for the subject, great light, access, storytelling and heart. The camera equipment is just a tool designed to help capture the rest."--Scott Bourne

Elsinore
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.24.2013 21:58

Got 'em, ravnostic. I double checked, and the theme descriptions are the same both here and the contest thread--golden hour is defined in both places as the hour after sunrise or the hour before sunset, and the time frames on all your photos place them after sunset. Obviously, that's going to be tricky to police, and I'm not going to go looking for a hard line at 60 minutes prior to local sunset/after local sunrise, but photos taken after sunset obviously don't qualify.

Lovesandwich
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.26.2013 13:18

Elsinore wrote:
Obviously, that's going to be tricky to police, and I'm not going to go looking for a hard line at 60 minutes prior to local sunset/after local sunrise, but photos taken after sunset obviously don't qualify.

The farther north (or if in Australia, south) that one goes, specially in summer, the longer the golden hour will last. Hard to judge time on a photo. Wink

linguine
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.26.2013 14:19

Is this too far along the sunsety line? http://www.flickr.com/photos/guine/8971080119/in/photostream

Elsinore
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.26.2013 14:46

Lovesandwich wrote:
      Elsinore wrote:
Obviously, that's going to be tricky to police, and I'm not going to go looking for a hard line at 60 minutes prior to local sunset/after local sunrise, but photos taken after sunset obviously don't qualify.

The farther north (or if in Australia, south) that one goes, specially in summer, the longer the golden hour will last. Hard to judge time on a photo. Wink

Oh I agree. It's just in this case, they were listed as being after sunset and they looked it. This is going to potentially be really difficult to draw lines for what crosses into sunset territory and what's legit "golden hour" territory. I'll probably err on the side of inclusion unless it's very clearly after sunset.

As for linguine's question: It looks very sunsety, but I'd rather Lovesandwich make the call since it will help me see where the lines should be drawn in general.

ravnostic
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 8-28-13 - Upon Golden Light  PostPosted: 08.26.2013 14:57

I blame the meds. Wink

//damn; I stopped taking the meds some time ago.

////I blame the Advil.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Private messages View next topic